Treatment: SpineCor Brace
SpineCor® treatment was developed in the early 1990s and utilises a Dynamic Corrective Brace (DCB), together with a completely new treatment approach requiring clinical assistant diagnostic software (SAS) to allow accurate fitting and treatment follow up.
Following 12 years of clinical research and trials, SpineCor is now rapidly being made available to patients around the world.
The initial excellent clinical results produced by the research centre at Ste Justine Hospital and the University of Montreal, Canada, have since been replicated by more than 80 other treatment centres around the world. SpineCor has shown to be effective in 89% of cases (either by stablisation or improvement in (Cobb) angle of the curve).
SpineCor’s unique treatment approach offers improvement over traditional braces, which are essentially static or allow minimal movement, due to its true totally dynamic action. Fundamental research by independent research groups now indicates that a significant dynamic action is required on the spine (vertebral growth plates) to alter the abnormal growth progressing the deformity in scoliosis patients.
The SpineCor treatment approach is completely different to that of traditional braces that use 3-point pressure and distraction; it is the first and only true dynamic bracing system for idiopathic scoliosis. SpineCor’s unique approach to treatment by global postural re-education has been shown to give progressive correction over time which, unlike any previous brace treatment, is extremely stable post brace weaning.
Clinical experience to date also shows better compliance and cosmetic results.
- Allows patients four hours per day out of brace
- Allows total freedom of movement
- Offers better cosmesis under clothing, and
- Is cooler to wear.
With all of these benefits, it is not difficult to see why compliance might be better than with bulky, rigid braces that severely restrict movement and must be worn 23 hours per day.
Although to date no specific study has been undertaken to quantify cosmetic improvement, subjectively, some striking improvements have been observed clinically. Additionally, some very positive postural changes have been noted in cases where there has been no change in Cobb angle.
- A treatment approach based on the latest understanding of the cause and progression factors of Idiopathic scoliosis.
- A much more acceptable treatment to patients, being cooler to wear, less restrictive, more easily concealed under clothing and 4 hours of out of brace time per day.
- No side effects. Rigid braces cause muscle atrophy and can be harmful to normal development in a growing child.
- Excellent treatment results, particularly when treatment is started early.
- Excellent stability of treatment results post bracing.
- Neuromuscular integration for maintenance of improved posture.
- Potential to reduce incidence of surgical intervention.
SpineCor is a highly effective for the early treatment of idiopathic scoliosis as demonstrated in the case study and also offers significant benefits to patients who present late. The real challenge is, therefore, to increase awareness of the absolute importance of early diagnosis and, that a viable treatment for early intervention is now available. Clearly it is easier to prevent progression of a small curve than to reverse the deformity in a large curve. Timing is of absolute importance – the later treatment is started the lesser the possibility there is to change the curve, as the child’s growth runs out so does the possibility to make any change.
SpineCor is a registered trademarks of The SpineCorporation Limited