Is There An Association Between Running and Knee Osteoarthritis?
Impact of Running on Knees
A common question that arises regarding running is; “Does it damage the knees?” And if so, does it increase the risk of developing knee osteoarthritis? Knee Osteoarthritis is one of the most common joint disorder globally. It can develop due to risk factors such as obesity, occupational activity, joint injury, age, gender and genetics.
Results in some studies cannot establish a relationship between the running and knee damage, except in joints that have a history of previous injury. There is low quality evidence to support the increased relationship between sports participation and osteoarthritis in elite participants (Tran G et al. 2016) In addition, some studies show that the chances of undergoing surgery for osteoarthritis are less in runners.
Further details of the review article can be found here “Knee Osteoarthritis and Running: Is there any Evidence for Association?”
Nair MK (2017) Knee Osteoarthritis and Running: Is there any Evidence for Association?. J Arthritis 6: 257. doi: 10.4172/2167-7921.1000257
Tran G, Smith TO, Grice A, Kingsbury SR, McCrory P, et al. (2016) Does sports participation (including level of performance and previous injury) increase risk of osteoarthritis? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Sports Med 50: 1459-1466.
15 Popular Articles That You May Find Interesting
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Slipped disc – Do’s and don’ts
- Waking up with neck pain? Try this.
- Sacroiliac Joint Pain or Posterior Pelvic Pain in Pregnant Women
- What is Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD)
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Multifidus – Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Maybe it’s not Plantarfasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- Snapping Ankle
- The disabled throwing shoulder- The “Dead Arm”
- Better to Break a Bone Than to Tear a Ligament or Tendon
- Why is my MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- Inversion Ankle Sprain