Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD)
Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction or SPD is one of the complications experienced during pregnancy. It occurs when the symphysis pubis joint becomes sufficiently relaxed to allow significant ‘gapping’ or instability in the pelvic girdle. In severe cases where the symphysis pubis partially or fully rupture, and the gap increases by more than 10mm, it is known as diastasis of the symphysis pubis (DSP). Pain is usually localized over the symphysis pubis with occasional grinding or audible clicking. Pain may also be felt in the groin and inner thighs. Activities such as walking, lifting and carrying items and getting in and out of the car may also be painful.
SPD is a result of a combination of factors:
- an altered pelvic load,
- hormonal and biochemical alterations causing ligament laxity and,
- a weakening of pelvic and core musculature during pregnancy
- leading to spino-pelvic instability.
Related and Popular Articles
- Snapping Ankle - Physiotherapy
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis - Conditions
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it isn't Plantar Fasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can't get out of bed?
- Multifidus - Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Shoulder Pain - Frequently Asked Questions
- 'Clunking' Shoulders - Part I
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow.
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain - It Could Be Rib Pain
- MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Slipped Disc in Singapore - What to Do and Avoid
- Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon
- Knee Joint & Ankle Pain - Specialist Treatment in Singapore
- Acromion Clavicle Joint - Another source of shoulder pain
- Sway Back No More
- Knock Knees - Can I reverse it? (Part 1)
- Sway back posture: A leading poor posture type causing back pain
- Posterior Capsule stretches