Spondylolisis and Spondylolisthesis
Spondylolisis (or occasionally spelt as Spondylolysis) is a defect of the spinal vertebrae at the area where two vertebrae meet, usually a stress fracture. It most commonly occurs in the lumbar spine area, in particular, the 5th lumbar vertebrae (and some less often the 4th vertebrae).
Spondylolisthesis is a severe form of spondylolysis, where the stressed portion of the vertebrae separates; causing the vertebrae to ‘slip’ forward
Lower back pain which worsened with activity, especially overarching (hyperextension) of the spine.
Spondylolisis most often develops in young teenagers who are active in sports. Often, they may not exhibit signs of pains or is mild and easily overlooked. An X-ray is usually taken to confirm this diagnosis.
This spondylolisis article expands on this condition further
Experiencing back pain? Click here to find out more about physiotherapy for back pain relief and how Core Concepts can help
Related and Popular Articles
- Snapping Ankle - Physiotherapy
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis - Conditions
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it isn't Plantar Fasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can't get out of bed?
- Multifidus - Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Shoulder Pain - Frequently Asked Questions
- 'Clunking' Shoulders - Part I
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow.
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain - It Could Be Rib Pain
- MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Slipped Disc in Singapore - What to Do and Avoid
- Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon
- Knee Joint & Ankle Pain - Specialist Treatment in Singapore
- Acromion Clavicle Joint - Another source of shoulder pain
- Sway Back No More
- Knock Knees - Can I reverse it? (Part 1)
- Sway back posture: A leading poor posture type causing back pain
- Posterior Capsule stretches