Runner’s Knee (Patellofemoral Stress)
Runner’s knee or Patellofemoral Stress is when the kneecap (patella) rubs roughly against the end of the thighbone (femur) when the knee moves.
Runner’s knee may be caused by a structural defect, such as a kneecap located too high or too low in the knee joint, off-centre insertion of the muscles into the kneecap, tight hamstrings, tight Achilles tendons, and weak thigh muscles – which normally help stabilize the knee. Weak thigh muscles are the most common treatable cause of runner’s knee; these weak muscles allow the kneecap to move sideways and rub against the thigh bone.
A second common treatable cause is rolling of the feet onto the outside (pronation) excessively when walking or running while the front thigh muscles (quadriceps) pull the kneecap outward. Together, these forces cause the kneecap to rub against the end of the thighbone.
Related and Popular Articles
- Snapping Ankle - Physiotherapy
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis - Conditions
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it isn't Plantar Fasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can't get out of bed?
- Multifidus - Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Shoulder Pain - Frequently Asked Questions
- 'Clunking' Shoulders - Part I
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow.
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain - It Could Be Rib Pain
- MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Slipped Disc in Singapore - What to Do and Avoid
- Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon
- Knee Joint & Ankle Pain - Specialist Treatment in Singapore
- Acromion Clavicle Joint - Another source of shoulder pain
- Sway Back No More
- Knock Knees - Can I reverse it? (Part 1)
- Sway back posture: A leading poor posture type causing back pain
- Posterior Capsule stretches