Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) PPP
Posterior pelvic pain during pregnancy is pain felt at the back of the pelvis, around the sacroiliac (SI) joints. It is often described as deep and sometimes radiating to the buttocks and posterior thigh. It occurs in about 20% of pregnancy cases.
The pain is the result of stresses on the sacroiliac joints brought about by the increase in weight during pregnancy. It is further worsened by SI dysfunction. The sacrum, innominate, and their ligamentous connections, which make up the SI joint, grow lax during pregnancy. SI joint laxity and the widening of the symphysis pubis can cause the pelvis to be ‘lop-sided’. As the uterus enlarges, increased low back spine curvature, along with ligamentous laxity, can cause significant mechanical strain on the sacroiliac joints, resulting in a deep ache in the posterior pelvis
A patient education brochure is available for download here
Related and Popular Articles
- Snapping Ankle - Physiotherapy
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis - Conditions
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it isn't Plantar Fasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can't get out of bed?
- Multifidus - Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Shoulder Pain - Frequently Asked Questions
- 'Clunking' Shoulders - Part I
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow.
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain - It Could Be Rib Pain
- MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Slipped Disc in Singapore - What to Do and Avoid
- Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon
- Knee Joint & Ankle Pain - Specialist Treatment in Singapore
- Acromion Clavicle Joint - Another source of shoulder pain
- Sway Back No More
- Knock Knees - Can I reverse it? (Part 1)
- Sway back posture: A leading poor posture type causing back pain
- Posterior Capsule stretches