Lumbosacral (low back) pain
Lumbosacral pain is located around the waist in the centre of the back, occasionally with pain felt in the back of your thigh. Prolonged and/or static postures such as standing, lifting, twisting and repetitive lifting tend to aggravate lumbosacral pain.
Lumbosacral pain is be caused by weight gain experienced during pregnancy that results in maladaptive postural changes, leading to excessive curvature of the lower back. This shift in load distribution, in turn, generates stress on the intervertebral disc, ligaments, facet joints and the other spinal structures. These stresses may exceed the trunk and pelvic musculature’s capability to compensate and thus contributing to pain. Abdominal muscles are further weakened due to overstretching of the muscles to accommodate the expanding uterus, thus placing extra strain on lower back muscles, resulting in pain and spasms.
Experiencing back pain? Click here to find out more about physiotherapy for back pain relief and how Core Concepts can help
Related and Popular Articles
- Snapping Ankle - Physiotherapy
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis - Conditions
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it isn't Plantar Fasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can't get out of bed?
- Multifidus - Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Shoulder Pain - Frequently Asked Questions
- 'Clunking' Shoulders - Part I
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow.
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain - It Could Be Rib Pain
- MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Slipped Disc in Singapore - What to Do and Avoid
- Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon
- Knee Joint & Ankle Pain - Specialist Treatment in Singapore
- Acromion Clavicle Joint - Another source of shoulder pain
- Sway Back No More
- Knock Knees - Can I reverse it? (Part 1)
- Sway back posture: A leading poor posture type causing back pain
- Posterior Capsule stretches