Causes of Back and Neck Pain
Studies show that about 1 in every 5 Singaporeans1 suffer from back pain and neck pain, and you have some 80% chance of suffering from back pain and neck pain sometime during your lifetime.
Common causes of back and neck pain include:
- Straining the muscles or ligaments
- Pressure on the inter-vertebral discs
- Nerve compression or entrapment
- Damage to the vertebra (spine).
Back pain and neck pain may either occur suddenly or over time due to repetitive strain. The same survey found that about 1 in 10 Singaporeans suffer attacks of pain once a month or more frequently. In most cases, nothing abnormal shows up in tests such as X-rays and there is no permanent damage.
Pain is a complex symptom that affects us both physically and mentally. Your response is as individual as you are. (See “Pain Layers“)
- Feb 2000 survey conducted by Back Society of Singapore
- Bone Spurs In The Neck Area Of The Spine
- When to Worry About seeking Back Pain Treatment and When Not To
- 4 Signs That You May Not Be Ready For Yoga
- “Why Am I Not Getting Better With Repeated Traction Or Decompression Therapy For Back Pain?”
- Breastfeeding Postural Related Aches And Pain
- Referred Pain: Where Is The Source Of The Pain?
- Self-Massage For Your Neck & Shoulders
- Signs If Your Neck Pain Is Serious Or Not
- What Are The Most Common Causes Of Back Pain?
- Common Causes of Neck and Shoulder Pain
- Chronic Pain Afflicts A Significant Number Of Younger Adults
- Techniques to Ease Neck Pain On Your Own
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow for Neck Pain.
- Resolving Low Back Pain – A Kinetic Chain Approach
- How to give Massages for Neck, Back and Shoulder Pain
- Low Back Pain (LBP) Explained By Dr Mike Evans
- Neck Pain – When To Worry and When Not To
- Inflight Exercises – 7 Exercises To Do On A Flight
- Neck-Related Headaches
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain – It Could Be Rib Pain