What to do when your back hurts so much that you can’t get out of bed?
If your back suddenly hurts so much even to move up into a sitting position to get out of bed, it is likely that your spinal joints are severely inflamed and your back muscles are spasm-ing (twitching).
What you NEED to do for acute back pain
- Reduce the inflammation:
- Either take an anti-inflammatory medication (tablet or injection). GP prescription may be required.
- If it is too painful to even to go see the GP,
- Apply a COLD press to the sore/painful area.
- Take an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory (e.g. Voltaren Gel / Tablet). This is a weaker form of anti-inflammatory medication than what you will get from your GP.
- Rest to let your body heal and reduce the inflammation naturally.
What NOT to do
- Apply Heat (either through a hot pack or some of heat-rub) You will further aggravate the inflammation.
- Massage the sore area.