Useful Tips to Being Able Run Pain Free
Recently our physiotherapist, Lenia, was featured in Shape magazine Jan 2010. Here is an excerpt from the article.
Shin splints are caused by weak shin muscles or faulty running biomechanics while plantar fasciitisis the result of tight calf muscles that reduce the foot’s ability to absorb shock. Here are some tips to stay on track.
Don’t throw your shoes out too soon
Chalk up 800km to 1000km before discarding your shoes. Switching to new shoes too soon makes your body re-adapt unnecessarily, which may increase your risk of injuries.
Review your running style
It is better for long-distance runners to land on their mid-foot instead of the heel as it prevents excessive stress to the legs. running short distances under 5km? You are better off landing on your forefoot.
Stretch for relief
Do a lunge with the front knee bent. Straighten your other knee and make sure both heels are placed flat on the ground. You should feel a comfortable stretch on the calf of your back leg. Hold for 15 seconds and repeat 10 times.
Related Articles That You May Find Interesting
Popular Articles That You May Find Interesting
- Snapping Ankle - Physiotherapy
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis - Conditions
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it isn't Plantar Fasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can't get out of bed?
- Multifidus - Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Shoulder Pain - Frequently Asked Questions
- 'Clunking' Shoulders - Part I
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow.
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain - It Could Be Rib Pain
- MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Slipped Disc in Singapore - What to Do and Avoid
- Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon
- Knee Joint & Ankle Pain - Specialist Treatment in Singapore
- Acromion Clavicle Joint - Another source of shoulder pain
- Sway Back No More
- Knock Knees - Can I reverse it? (Part 1)
- Sway back posture: A leading poor posture type causing back pain
- Posterior Capsule stretches