TENS – Not effective for Chronic Low Back Pain according to latest guidelines
The American Academy of Neurology (AAN) recently published an evidence-based guidelines on the use of TENS ( transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation) is not recommended for the treatment of chronic low-back pain due to lack of proven efficacy. This supports our views at Core Concepts as a large number of chronic back pain cases is mechanical in nature.
"The strongest evidence showed that there is no benefit for people using TENS for chronic low-back pain," said guideline author Richard M. Dubinsky, MD, MPH, of Kansas University Medical Center in Kansas City and a Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology. "Doctors should use clinical judgment regarding TENS use for chronic low-back pain. People who are currently using TENS for their low-back pain should discuss these findings with their doctors."
TENS however, continues to be recommended for TENS can be effective in treating diabetic nerve pain.
- Assessment: Efficacy of transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation in the treatment of pain in neurologic disorders (an evidence-based review). Report of the Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology
- American Academy of Neurology (2009, December 31). Widely used device for pain therapy not recommended for chronic low back pain. ScienceDaily. Retrieved January 1, 2010, from http://www.sciencedaily.com /releases/2009/12/091230174120.htm
15 Popular Articles That You May Find Interesting
- What is Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD)
- Slipped disc – Do’s and don’ts
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Waking up with neck pain? Try this.
- Sacroiliac Joint Pain or Posterior Pelvic Pain in Pregnant Women
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it’s not Plantarfasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- Snapping Ankle
- Better to Break a Bone then to Tear a Ligament or Tendon
- Nerve Stretches
- Multifidus – Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- How to prevent ankle sprains from happening … again
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can’t get out of bed?