Total Knee Replacement Surgery: Surgeon’s Skill Over Implant Design
A recent study released by the Henry Ford Hospital found that the success of total knee replacement surgery is still dependent on the surgeon’s skill. Researchers found that utilizing a series of common but nuanced surgical techniques is far more important. This is in comparison to customizing the fit of a patient’s implant than the implant’s design.
“Customized knee implants will not replace the need for precise, methodical surgical skill,” says Jason Davis, M.D.. He is a Henry Ford joint replacement surgeon and the study’s lead author. “While improving outcomes will continue to evolve, getting back to the basics of surgery is still paramount to successful knee replacement.”
The study was presented recently at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- “Surgeon’s Skill, Not Implant Design Key to Knee Replacement“, Feb. 16, 2011
Related and Popular Articles
- Snapping Ankle - Physiotherapy
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis - Conditions
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it isn't Plantar Fasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can't get out of bed?
- Multifidus - Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Shoulder Pain - Frequently Asked Questions
- 'Clunking' Shoulders - Part I
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow.
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain - It Could Be Rib Pain
- MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Slipped Disc in Singapore - What to Do and Avoid
- Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon
- Knee Joint & Ankle Pain - Specialist Treatment in Singapore
- Acromion Clavicle Joint - Another source of shoulder pain
- Sway Back No More
- Knock Knees - Can I reverse it? (Part 1)
- Sway back posture: A leading poor posture type causing back pain
- Posterior Capsule stretches