Using Smartphones And Neck Pain – A Pain In The Neck
In Singapore, 4.4 million or 80% of our population are active mobile social users – that’s a 56% increase from 2014. We spend an average of 3 hours daily on our mobile devices, straining our necks and causing neck pain along the way.
We are a nation with text neck, a very real malady associated with excessive smartphone use. We send messages, play games, browse social media and read articles without realising the impact on our necks. When using our phones, we naturally adopt a forward-and-down head position that increases the stress on our neck. This eventually causes neck pain.
The Bigger, The Better
Principal Physiotherapist Sylvia Ho advises to make a conscious effort to switch from using your smartphone endlessly, especially at home. A desktop computer is better than a laptop, which is better than a tablet, which in turn trumps a phone.
If you’re unable to choose your device, try reducing the time spent in a sitting and increasing frequency instead. The idea is to get your neck out of the strained position quicker, thereby reducing the constant load.
Countless Mobile Apps, Endless Achy Necks
Over 70% of patients that visit us with neck pains are diagnosed with text neck. In the clinic, manual therapy releases the tight muscles and mobilises the cervical joints that turn stiff from looking down. It is also important to strengthen the cervical extensors at the base of the neck, allowing the lower cervical spine to remain in a more neutral position.
Ultimately, while physiotherapy can fix such neck pains, the key to prevention is altering your posture. Take a break from that smartphone and have a look around you.
If you take a quick look around, you’re likely to be greeted by the view of people with their heads buried in their mobile devices. If you’re reading this on your phone right now, take a took at your posture. Long continued usage of mobile devices can have significant damage to your posture. In this video, our physiotherapist discusses more about how she thinks mobile devices are taking over our lives.
Experiencing neck pain? Click here to find out more about physiotherapy for neck pain relief and how Core Concepts can help
- Smartphone Aches from Shopping On Your Phone All Day?
- Text Neck – Not Just Poor Posture. It Is Sustained Poor Posture.
- Best Ways To Avoid And Treat Tech-Neck Symptoms
- The Effects of Mobile Devices – The Better Way To Use Your Phone
- Techniques to Ease Neck Pain On Your Own
- Bone Spurs In The Neck Area Of The Spine
- Why Are Singaporean Kids More Likely To Develop Neck Pain Than Other Children In Southeast Asia?
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow for Neck Pain.
- Neck Pain – When To Worry and When Not To
- Yearning for a Good ‘Neck’ Sleep?
- Self-Massage For Your Neck & Shoulders
- Neck-Related Headaches
- 5 Things You Probably Don’t Know About Whiplash
- Experiencing Neck Pain? Physiotherapy Helps Neck Pain Conditions
- Inflight Exercises – 7 Exercises To Do On A Flight
- Getting a Good Neck’s Sleep
- Is Back and Neck Pain a ‘Lottery’?
- Neck: Understanding Cervical Spine And Disc Anatomy
- Spondylosis: Can Physiotherapy Help With Deskbound Work Neckache?
- Common Causes of Neck and Shoulder Pain