Scoliosis: Assess your child
Scoliosis is a problem more commonly seen in young females.
There is a very simple way to assess to see if a child has a scoliosis and this is known as the Adams forward bend test.
The child is asked to lean forward and bend 90 degrees at the hip whilst placing their hands between their legs. The examiner from behind, can then easily determine any asymmetry of the trunk or any abnormal spinal curvatures. Abnormalities at both the shoulder, mid back or the lower back may be seen depending on the type of scoliosis the child has.
Although a useful test it is not advisable to be done in isolation as 15% of scoliosis’ can be missed.
Should you suspect or have a child with a diagnosis of scoliosis, feel free to book in to see on of our therapists that specialises in scoliosis management and scoliosis bracing.
Related Articles That You May Find Interesting
Popular Articles That You May Find Interesting
- Snapping Ankle - Physiotherapy
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis - Conditions
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it isn't Plantar Fasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can't get out of bed?
- Multifidus - Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Shoulder Pain - Frequently Asked Questions
- 'Clunking' Shoulders - Part I
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow.
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain - It Could Be Rib Pain
- MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Slipped Disc in Singapore - What to Do and Avoid
- Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon
- Knee Joint & Ankle Pain - Specialist Treatment in Singapore
- Acromion Clavicle Joint - Another source of shoulder pain
- Sway Back No More
- Knock Knees - Can I reverse it? (Part 1)
- Sway back posture: A leading poor posture type causing back pain
- Posterior Capsule stretches