Recurrent Hamsting injuries?
Footballers and sprinters- you must be wondering what your doing wrong? What is causing you to have recurrent problems with your hamstring?
Now as with any injury, you should always consult your GP and or physiotherapist before commencing any new exercise…
So a big mistake when rehabilitating the hamstring is the lack of eccentric work… people tend to stretch and concentrically strengthen muscles which does not protect the hamstring when it is under the most strain. Eccentric contraction involves contracting a muscle in a lengthened position- in the case of the hamstring this would be from knee flexion through to knee extension. This differs to concentric muscle activity where muscles are both contracted and shortened at the same time, this would be the equivalent of performing a hamstring curl
Nordic hamstring exercises are found to be quite useful in strengthening the hamstring muscle
Look out on MCR for a detailed hamstring rehabilitation programme in the coming weeks
Articles That You May Find Interesting
50 Popular Articles That You May Find Interesting
- Snapping Ankle - Physiotherapy
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis - Conditions
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it isn't Plantar Fasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can't get out of bed?
- Multifidus - Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Shoulder Pain - Frequently Asked Questions
- 'Clunking' Shoulders - Part I
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow.
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain - It Could Be Rib Pain
- MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Slipped Disc in Singapore - What to Do and Avoid
- Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon
- Knee Joint & Ankle Pain - Specialist Treatment in Singapore
- Acromion Clavicle Joint - Another source of shoulder pain
- Sway Back No More
- Knock Knees - Can I reverse it? (Part 1)
- Sway back posture: A leading poor posture type causing back pain
- Posterior Capsule stretches