Eye Relaxation Techniques at Your Desk
Below are some eye relaxing techniques that you can practice easily at your desk.
- Place your elbows on your desk and cup hands over eyes.
- Let your weight fall forward and rest your head in hands.
- Close your eyes and inhale deeply through your nose; hold it for three seconds, then exhale.
- Continue this deep breathing for 15 to 30 seconds. Repeat this exercise several times a day.
- Hold up a finger/pen a few centimeters in front of you.
- Focus on the finger/pen as you slowly move it away, and then focus on something further away
- Next, shift focus back to the finger/pen, and slowly bring the finger/pen back towards you.
- Now, shift your focus to something farther than the previous object and hold your eyes there for 2 seconds.
- Alternate your focus between the near and far objects, looking at each for at least 2 seconds at a time. Repeat this exercise several times a day.
- Close eyes and imagine a clock face.
- Start by moving eyes slowly from the centre to the 12 o’clock position and hold for 2 seconds,
- Then slowly roll eyes clockwise, until the cycle is completed.
- Repeat the exercise anti-clockwise.
- Next, slowly and gently move eyes to the 12 o’clock position and hold for 2 seconds
- Shift the eye position to 6 o’clock position and hold for 2 seconds, and follow by 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock positions, holding each end positions for 2 seconds.
- Remember to stretch as far out as possible all the time and do it slowly.
- Repeat the entire exercise at least 3 times.
- move eyes to the left, then slowly to the right
- Consult your optometrist or eye doctor whenever in doubt. The exercises may not be suitable for you.
- Doing the exercises when you wear contacts may cause discomfort. The contacts may move around and possibly become folded or dislodged.
- Wash your hands before doing palming to avoid getting irritants in your eye.