MRI Identifies Five Causes Of Complications From ACL Reconstructive Surgery
MRI has identified five possible causes of patient complications from anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstructive surgery, according to a study performed at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, GA, and Sahlgrenska-Molndal University Hospital in Gothenborg, Sweden.
Sixteen patients with symptoms suggesting ACL reconstruction failure underwent MR imaging three weeks to three years following surgery to possibly determine the cause(s) of their complications.
“Persistent pain is the most consistent patient complaint. Others complain of instability, joint swelling and infection,” said Claude Pierre-Jerome, MD, lead author of the study.
The study found that there were five possible causes of reconstruction failure and patient complication:
- graft discontinuity (a tear or impingement in the graft, 5 knees),
- inappropriate position of the femoral and/or tibial tunnel (graft will not function properly without proper tunnel positioning, 2 knees)
- hardware failure (screws may not be in the right position, 3 knees),
- infection (1 knee) and
- intra-articular arthrofibrosis (affecting movement of the joint, 4 knees).
“These are only preliminary results for a much larger study,” said Dr. Pierre-Jerome.
Adapted from materials provided by American Roentgen Ray Society.
Articles That You May Find Interesting
50 Popular Articles That You May Find Interesting
- Snapping Ankle - Physiotherapy
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis - Conditions
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it isn't Plantar Fasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can't get out of bed?
- Multifidus - Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Shoulder Pain - Frequently Asked Questions
- 'Clunking' Shoulders - Part I
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow.
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain - It Could Be Rib Pain
- MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Slipped Disc in Singapore - What to Do and Avoid
- Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon
- Knee Joint & Ankle Pain - Specialist Treatment in Singapore
- Acromion Clavicle Joint - Another source of shoulder pain
- Sway Back No More
- Knock Knees - Can I reverse it? (Part 1)
- Sway back posture: A leading poor posture type causing back pain
- Posterior Capsule stretches