How do you measure the Cobb Angle?
One of the most common angle used in the measure of scolisis progression is the Cobb angle. The Cobb angle is the measure the frontal deformation looking from the back to the front (or technically, it measures the deformation of the spine at the coronal plane on the anterior-posterior plane.
The Cobb angle is measured by finding from the top, the most displaced vertebra and from the bottom, most displaced vertebra. The two lines are drawn parallel from the ends of these two vertebrea. Two perpendicular lines are drawn from these two lines. The angle at where the two perpendicular lines meet is the Cobb angle. (see figure).
Do note that there is some error in measuring the cobb angle. Typically, expect about ± 5 degrees. Even when the measurement is done by the same person, same variation is expected.
The cobb angle does not measure the amount of rotation of the spine in the other two planes (sagittal and transverse planes). As scoliosis is a 3-dimensional deformation of the spine, it is possible for a visible improvement of the overall spine but not the cobb angle.
- Variation in Cobb angle measurements in scoliosis, Volume 23, Number 7 / October, 1994
- Reliability of the Cobb angle index derived by traditional and computer assisted methods., Australas Phys Eng Sci Med. 1989 Mar;12(1):16-23.
15 Popular Articles That You May Find Interesting
- What is Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD)
- Slipped disc – Do’s and don’ts
- Waking up with neck pain? Try this.
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- Snapping Ankle
- Multifidus – Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Maybe it’s not Plantarfasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- Better to Break a Bone then to Tear a Ligament or Tendon
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Nerve Stretches
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can’t get out of bed?
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Why is my MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Choosing the Right Knee Support
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?