Ulnar Nerve Compression – Last and Ring Finger Numbness in Cyclists
Does your last finger and EXACTLY half of your ring finger feel numb or experience a tingling sensation? If yes, there is a good chance that your ulnar nerve (see diagram) is compressed.
The two main reasons for this compression:
- Too much pressure over a prolonged period on the “knife” edge of your palm
- Holding your wrist in a “cocked” position for prolonged periods of time
What you can do:
- Wear padded gloves
- Pad your handlebars
- Frequently change hand positions and avoid prolonged gripping. (If you are using the old-style downtube shifters, you can alternate hands when changing gears.)
If the numbness or tingling sensation does not disappear when these changes, drop by to our physiotherapist. The nerve compression may be of a more complicated structural form higher up along your forearm.
Related Articles That You May Find Interesting
Popular Articles That You May Find Interesting
- Snapping Ankle - Physiotherapy
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis - Conditions
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it isn't Plantar Fasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can't get out of bed?
- Multifidus - Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Shoulder Pain - Frequently Asked Questions
- 'Clunking' Shoulders - Part I
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow.
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain - It Could Be Rib Pain
- MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Slipped Disc in Singapore - What to Do and Avoid
- Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon
- Knee Joint & Ankle Pain - Specialist Treatment in Singapore
- Acromion Clavicle Joint - Another source of shoulder pain
- Sway Back No More
- Knock Knees - Can I reverse it? (Part 1)
- Sway back posture: A leading poor posture type causing back pain
- Posterior Capsule stretches