Grow Your Own Fresh Air
This is a slight departure from our usual articles on musculoskeletal health. However, without access to good fresh air, your state of health and the ergonomic soundness of your workplace doesn’t add up to much. Watch and listen to Kamal Meattle at TED. He share three simple home & office plants common in Singapore. These plants help to improve the quality of fresh air in your home and office.
Who is Kamal Meattle?
Kamal Meattle has a vision to reshape commercial building in India using principles of green architecture and sustainable upkeep. This includes an air-cleaning system that involves massive banks of plants instead of massive banks of HVAC equipment. He started the Paharpur Business Centre and Software Technology Incubator Park (PBC-STIP), in New Delhi, in 1990 to provide “instant office” space to technology companies. PBC-STIP’s website publishes its air quality index every day. It also tracks its compliance to the 10 principles of the UN Global Compact – a corporate-citizenship initiative.
Meattle has long been an environmental activist in India. In the 1980s he helped India’s apple industry develop less-wasteful packaging to help save acres of trees. He then began a campaign to help India’s millions of scooter drivers use less oil. His next plan is to develop a larger version of PBC-STIP, making a green office accessible to more businesses in New Delhi and serving as an example of low-cost, low-energy office life.
More About His Efforts
“He has spent a great deal of time in India and abroad convincing corporate leaders, diplomats, energy ministers, and other government officials that his ideas about sustainability, individual responsibility, and respect for the environment can ensure a healthier future for everyone. ‘Either you are overwhelmed by the fact that there are so many problems and so many people,’ says Meattle, ‘or you find solutions to help in any way you can.'”– Kamal Meattle in MIT’s Technology Review
- Well-paced in the Fast-paced Workplace
- Top 3 Ergonomic Risk-Factors
- 3 Ways that Staying at Home Could be Influencing Your Pain & How to Manage It
- Investing in Ergonomics
- Neck: Understanding Cervical Spine And Disc Anatomy
- “What Should I Not Do?” The Question Less Asked
- Ergonomical Problems Like Back And Neck Pains Cost Singapore $3.5 Billion A Year
- A Survival Strategy for Desk-bound Office Workers
- Back Pain Care at Home: 3 Tips from a Physiotherapist
- Office Ergonomics or The Lack of It : Part I
- It’s Good Business To Sit Up Straight
- Minimising Work-Related Back Pain
- Layout Your Work Surface Or Desk For Better Ergonomics And Productivity
- Ergonomics Guideline And Checklist
- Why Work-Life Balance Makes Good Sense
- What Is An Ergonomic Chair?
- Tone Up – Mini Gym Ball Exercises With Sanctband Singapore
- 3 Common WFH Workstations & How to Optimise Them
- How To Enhance Your Health And Age Well
- Need Progress in Home Workout Videos? Here are 3 simple methods.