Grow Your Own Fresh Air
This is a slight departure from our usual articles on musculoskeletal health. However, without access to good fresh air, your state of health and the ergonomic soundness of your workplace doesn’t add up to much. Watch and listen to Kamal Meattle at TED. He share three simple home & office plants common in Singapore. These plants help to improve the quality of fresh air in your home and office.
Who is Kamal Meattle?
Kamal Meattle has a vision to reshape commercial building in India using principles of green architecture and sustainable upkeep. This includes an air-cleaning system that involves massive banks of plants instead of massive banks of HVAC equipment. He started the Paharpur Business Centre and Software Technology Incubator Park (PBC-STIP), in New Delhi, in 1990 to provide “instant office” space to technology companies. PBC-STIP’s website publishes its air quality index every day. It also tracks its compliance to the 10 principles of the UN Global Compact – a corporate-citizenship initiative.
Meattle has long been an environmental activist in India. In the 1980s he helped India’s apple industry develop less-wasteful packaging to help save acres of trees. He then began a campaign to help India’s millions of scooter drivers use less oil. His next plan is to develop a larger version of PBC-STIP, making a green office accessible to more businesses in New Delhi and serving as an example of low-cost, low-energy office life.
More About His Efforts
“He has spent a great deal of time in India and abroad convincing corporate leaders, diplomats, energy ministers, and other government officials that his ideas about sustainability, individual responsibility, and respect for the environment can ensure a healthier future for everyone. ‘Either you are overwhelmed by the fact that there are so many problems and so many people,’ says Meattle, ‘or you find solutions to help in any way you can.'”– Kamal Meattle in MIT’s Technology Review
Related Articles That You May Find Interesting
Popular Articles That You May Find Interesting
- Snapping Ankle - Physiotherapy
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis - Conditions
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it isn't Plantar Fasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can't get out of bed?
- Multifidus - Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Shoulder Pain - Frequently Asked Questions
- 'Clunking' Shoulders - Part I
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow.
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain - It Could Be Rib Pain
- MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Slipped Disc in Singapore - What to Do and Avoid
- Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon
- Knee Joint & Ankle Pain - Specialist Treatment in Singapore
- Acromion Clavicle Joint - Another source of shoulder pain
- Sway Back No More
- Knock Knees - Can I reverse it? (Part 1)
- Sway back posture: A leading poor posture type causing back pain
- Posterior Capsule stretches