Exercises to Prevent Wrist Injuries
Whether it’s hours on the computer or hours in the gym, your wrists are constantly under demand. Proper wrist flexibility and stability is crucial to help prevent wrist injury.
A common issue that arises from prolonged training is carpal tunnel syndrome. Made up of bones and ligaments, the carpal tunnel is a narrow passageway in your wrist that allows the median nerve to enter the palm. When the median nerve becomes compressed or irritated, you can feel pain, tingling or numbness in different areas of your palm and fingers.
Here are some recommended stretches and exercises to help prevent wrist problems.
1. WRIST EXTENSOR STRETCH
With your palmed facing up and your elbow straight, pull your hand down with your other hand. You should feel a mild to moderate stretch. Hold for 10-15 seconds. Repeat with your other wrist for three sets.
2. WRIST FLEXOR STRETCH
Keep your elbow straight and pull your wrist backward with your other hand. You should feel a mild to moderate stretch. Hold for 10-15 seconds. Repeat with the other wrist for three sets.
3. TENNIS BALL SQUEEZE
Squeeze a tennis ball as hard as possible without causing pain. Hold for 5-10 seconds. Repeat 8-10 times.
4. RESISTANCE BAND WRIST FLEXION
Wrap a resistance band around your hand with your palm facing up and your elbow by your side, as if doing a dumbbell curl. Keep the elbow bent to 90 degrees and slowly curl your wrist up, squeezing your hand and forearm muscles. Repeat on the other wrist for three sets with 15 reps.
5. RESISTANCE BAND WRIST EXTENSION
With your elbow by your side, wrap a resistance band around your hand. Keep your palm facing down and your elbow bent at a 90-degree angle, as if doing a reverse curl. Slowly curl your wrist up, squeezing your forearm muscles. Repeat with the other wrist and perform three sets of 10-15 repetitions.
Experiencing elbow or wrist pain? Click here to find out more about physiotherapy for elbow or wrist pain relief and how Core Concepts can help
Related Articles That You May Find Interesting
Popular Articles That You May Find Interesting
- Snapping Ankle - Physiotherapy
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis - Conditions
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it isn't Plantar Fasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can't get out of bed?
- Multifidus - Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Shoulder Pain - Frequently Asked Questions
- 'Clunking' Shoulders - Part I
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow.
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain - It Could Be Rib Pain
- MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Slipped Disc in Singapore - What to Do and Avoid
- Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon
- Knee Joint & Ankle Pain - Specialist Treatment in Singapore
- Acromion Clavicle Joint - Another source of shoulder pain
- Sway Back No More
- Knock Knees - Can I reverse it? (Part 1)
- Sway back posture: A leading poor posture type causing back pain
- Posterior Capsule stretches