Exercises to Prevent Wrist Injuries
Whether it’s hours on the computer or hours in the gym, your wrists are constantly under demand. Proper wrist flexibility and stability is crucial to help prevent wrist injury.
A common issue that arises from prolonged training is carpal tunnel syndrome. Made up of bones and ligaments, the carpal tunnel is a narrow passageway in your wrist that allows the median nerve to enter the palm. When the median nerve becomes compressed or irritated, you can feel pain, tingling or numbness in different areas of your palm and fingers.
Here are some recommended stretches and exercises to help prevent wrist problems.
1. WRIST EXTENSOR STRETCH
With your palmed facing up and your elbow straight, pull your hand down with your other hand. You should feel a mild to moderate stretch. Hold for 10-15 seconds. Repeat with your other wrist for three sets.
2. WRIST FLEXOR STRETCH
Keep your elbow straight and pull your wrist backward with your other hand. You should feel a mild to moderate stretch. Hold for 10-15 seconds. Repeat with the other wrist for three sets.
3. TENNIS BALL SQUEEZE
Squeeze a tennis ball as hard as possible without causing pain. Hold for 5-10 seconds. Repeat 8-10 times.
4. RESISTANCE BAND WRIST FLEXION
Wrap a resistance band around your hand with your palm facing up and your elbow by your side, as if doing a dumbbell curl. Keep the elbow bent to 90 degrees and slowly curl your wrist up, squeezing your hand and forearm muscles. Repeat on the other wrist for three sets with 15 reps.
5. RESISTANCE BAND WRIST EXTENSION
With your elbow by your side, wrap a resistance band around your hand. Keep your palm facing down and your elbow bent at a 90-degree angle, as if doing a reverse curl. Slowly curl your wrist up, squeezing your forearm muscles. Repeat with the other wrist and perform three sets of 10-15 repetitions.
Experiencing elbow or wrist pain? Click here to find out more about physiotherapy for elbow or wrist pain relief and how Core Concepts can help
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – Understanding And Treatment
- It’s Seems Tennis Elbow, But It’s Not. It’s Radial Tunnel Syndrome
- These 4 Nerve Stretches Could Ease Your Pain
- Nerve Stretches
- Thumb And Wrists Pain For New Mums
- Why do Nerve Injuries Happen?
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Non-Operative Management
- 5 Ways To Fix Your Desk-Job Aches
- Aches and Pains of Chinese New Year
- How Does A Non-Golfer Get Golfer’s Elbow?
- Top 5 Office Exercises
- Common Cycling Injuries in Singapore: What They Are and How to Fix Them
- Wrist Sprain – a common wrist injury
- Ulnar Nerve Compression – Last And Ring Finger Numbness In Cyclists
- Sports Taping – Wrist
- DeQuervain’s Syndrome
- Float Away Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Float Away
- Why Do Badminton Players Get Tennis Elbow?
- Tennis Elbow In Children?
- BMT Injuries: Prevention & Management