Exercises For Ankle Sprain
Rehabilitation For Ankle Sprain
Proper rehabilitative exercise is crucial in ensuring that new tissues are laid down and aligned properly during the healing phase. Rehabilitation exercise should comprise of four components:
- Range of motion exercises
- Progressive muscle-strengthening exercises
- Proprioceptive/ balance training
- Activity-specific training.
Below are some recommended exercises for ankle sprains that you can do at home. It is necessary to progressively increase the intensity of these exercises. Discuss with your sports physiotherapist so that they can progress you safely.
Draw each letter of the alphabet in the air using your big toe as the “pencil”. Repeat the entire alphabet 5 times.
Ankle Strengthening Exercise For Ankle Sprains
Elastic Band Exercise
Attach one end of an elastic band (Theraband) to the leg of a chair. Loop the opposite end around the foot of the injured ankle. Keeping the heel on the ground, slide the foot outward (evert) as far as possible and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat 3 sets of 10 repetitions.
Raise your heels up slowly by going into a tip-toe, and then slowly drop the heels back down. Repeat 3 sets of 10 repetitions.
Ankle Proprioception/Balance Exercise For Ankle Sprains
Single Leg Balance
Stand and balance on the affected leg for 30 to 60 seconds, repeat 3 sets. To increase the intensity, stand on a folded towel or repeat the exercise with eyes closed.
Activity-Specific Exercise For Ankle Sprains
2-Foot Lateral Jumps
Start with both feet on the side of a straight line. Hop side to side over the line for 3 sets of 10 repetitions. Try to jump and land on the ball of the foot
Experiencing ankle pain? Click here to find out more about physiotherapy for ankle pain relief and how Core Concepts can help
- Eccentric Ankle Evertor Muscle Strengthening Is Better Than Concentric Strengthening After A Lateral Ankle Sprain
- Lateral Ankle Sprain: Why is it so recurrent?
- M.I.C.E Or R.I.C.E.
- Ankle Sprains: How To Prevent Them From Happening… Again
- More Than Just An Ankle Sprain
- Inversion Ankle Sprain
- Snapping Ankle
- Train Proprioception To Prevent Sprains
- What Does A Knee-Jerk Response Test Have To Do With Your Ankle Sprain?
- Should I Have An X-ray Taken For An Ankle Sprain?
- An Ankle Sprain And A Fracture?
- Experiencing Pain? Ask your Physiotherapist
- BMT Injuries: Prevention & Management
- Sports Taping – Ankle
- Common Workout Injuries and How to Prevent Them
- Strength Training Causes Stunted Growth – Truth or Myth?
- Slam Dunking Starts At The Bottom
- BMT Injuries during National Service
- What Kind Of Taping Do I Need?
- Proprioception Is Important For Everyone, Not Just Athletes