Ergonomical Problems Like Back And Neck Pains Cost Singapore $3.5 Billion A Year
The Workplace Safety and Health (WSH) Institute estimates that Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders (WRMSD) and other ergonomical problems result in an economic loss of $3.5 billion a year to Singapore1. This is approximately 1% of Singapore GDP. This may not seem much. However, we would double our annual productivity growth without problems relating to ergonomics. Examples include back pains, neck pain, and carpal tunnel syndrome. This is when compared to the average 1% productivity growth recorded in the past decade.
Moreover, back pains will get greater attention with back injuries. This is because risks relating to ergonomics will be classified under WRMSD in the WSH Statistics for 2014. Back pain injuries were previously classified under minor injuries. However, they are found to be caused by manual lifting and carrying of heavy materials.
To help firms tackle this issue, the WSH Council launched a set of guidelines on improving ergonomics in the workplace. These include tips on how to lift heavy objects safely and good office workstation design.
All in all, these efforts will put us the right path to better control worsening problems relating to ergonomics in Singapore.
Experiencing back pain? Click here to find out more about physiotherapy for back pain relief and how Core Concepts can help
Related and Popular Articles
- Snapping Ankle - Physiotherapy
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis - Conditions
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it isn't Plantar Fasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can't get out of bed?
- Multifidus - Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Shoulder Pain - Frequently Asked Questions
- 'Clunking' Shoulders - Part I
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow.
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain - It Could Be Rib Pain
- MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Slipped Disc in Singapore - What to Do and Avoid
- Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon
- Knee Joint & Ankle Pain - Specialist Treatment in Singapore
- Acromion Clavicle Joint - Another source of shoulder pain
- Sway Back No More
- Knock Knees - Can I reverse it? (Part 1)
- Sway back posture: A leading poor posture type causing back pain
- Posterior Capsule stretches