Elderly Balance Better After Foot Massages
Researchers found that elderly people were able to balance on their feet better with foot massages.
Jacques Valiant and his group of fellow researchers from Grenoble, France and Geneva, Switzerland found that a session of plantar massage and joint mobilisation of the feet and ankles improves clinical balance performance tests in elderly people.
Dividing 28 subjects, aged between 65-95 years, into two groups:
1. An intervention group had a 20 minute session of massage and mobilisation to the feet and ankle,
2. A placebo group that was given an application of three demagnetized magnets in the region of the fifth metatarsal for 20 minutes.
The subjects were tested on their One Leg Balance (OLB), Timed Up and Go (TUG) and Lateral Reach performance. Results were compared between the two groups before and after the massage and application of the magnets.
The group who had massages and mobilisations showed significant improvements in performance of OLB and TUG. This is after one session of intervention.
Experiencing foot and ankle pain? Click here to find out more about physiotherapy for foot and ankle pain relief and how Core Concepts can help
Massage and mobilisation of the feet and ankles in elderly adults: Effect on clinical balance performance, J Vaillant et al., Manual Therapy 2009;14:661-664
- Eccentric Ankle Evertor Muscle Strengthening Is Better Than Concentric Strengthening After A Lateral Ankle Sprain
- Tai Chi Reduces Knee Osteoarthritis Pain In The Elderly
- Do I Need Arch-Supports?
- Flat Feet Among Children – What Can Be Done?
- Orthotics For Achy Feet
- Heel pain? Here’s all you need to know.
- Neck Pain: The Truth On Traction
- Case Study: Achilles Tendonitis From A Tilted Heel Bone
- Is Your Bunion Stopping You from Running?
- Supplement Calcium Pills With Some Sun
- Bunions Make It Too Painful To Run
- Exercises For Ankle Sprain
- Sinus Tarsi Syndrome
- Tennis Elbow: Mobilisation With Movement And Exercise, Corticosteroid Injection, Or Wait And See. Which Is Faster?
- Ankle Replacement Surgery
- Sports Massage for Efficient Recovery Between Cycling Sessions
- Experiencing Foot Pain? Physiotherapy for Foot Pain
- Office Initiative Reduces Headaches And Neck And Shoulder Pain By More Than 40 Percent
- Maybe it’s not Plantarfasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- Slam Dunking Starts At The Bottom