Caffeine In Energy Drinks Related Heart Attacks
In this month’s issue of The American Journal of Medicine, there was a case of a 23-year old women with no medical history having heart palpatations and chest tightness. This happened shortly after consuming an energy drink as well as a soda drink with caffeine.
Many “energy drinks” contain excessive amounts of caffeine, sometimes several times the amount contained in a cup of coffee. Caffeine increases intracellular calcium concentrations, causes noradrenaline release, and sensitizes dopamine receptors . This causes cardiac stimulation resulting in the rapid rhythm of the heart, especially with high doses.
The manufacturers of the energy drink in question specifically warned against the concomitant use of this product with other caffeine-containing products. This includes sodas and coffee. They also suggest that people who are unsure to the drink try half a bottle instead of a whole bottle. Our patient was not a regular user of the energy drink, and ended up consuming both the energy drink and the caffeinated soda; a combination that most likely precipitated the rapid rhythm of the heart.
It is important for the public to be aware of the potential adverse effects of these energy drinks – whether they are consumed alone or in combination with other caffeine-containing products. This is because fatal and serious events have been reported. Read the article here
- Energy Drink-related Supraventricular Tachycardia, The American Journal of Medicine , April 2008 (Vol. 121, Issue 4, Pages e3-e4)
Related and Popular Articles
- Snapping Ankle - Physiotherapy
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis - Conditions
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it isn't Plantar Fasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can't get out of bed?
- Multifidus - Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Shoulder Pain - Frequently Asked Questions
- 'Clunking' Shoulders - Part I
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow.
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain - It Could Be Rib Pain
- MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Slipped Disc in Singapore - What to Do and Avoid
- Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon
- Knee Joint & Ankle Pain - Specialist Treatment in Singapore
- Acromion Clavicle Joint - Another source of shoulder pain
- Sway Back No More
- Knock Knees - Can I reverse it? (Part 1)
- Sway back posture: A leading poor posture type causing back pain
- Posterior Capsule stretches