Blackberry Thumb: 2012
Are you texting/using your phone for lengthy emails? Are you experiencing pain at the base of your thumb? Historically we have seen clients suffering from tennis elbow, bakers cysts, runners knee and mummy thumbs, as with the advance of technology, a new form of repetitive strain injury is fast emerging: blackberry thumb.
The thumb is designed to act as a stabilizer for pinch gripping with the fingers; and is, therefore, the least dexterous digit on the hand. For this reason, repetitive and extensive typing can cause the thumb to muscles to fatigue and strain. Symptoms include pain, swelling and associated numbness from potential nerve damage.
Using other fingers to press buttons on handheld devices can prevent BlackBerry thumb. Vary the fingers that are being used regularly too.
Avoid using these devices for lengthy typing
Have a break from your phone
Treatment for blackberry thumb involves wearing a splint and applying ice and Ultrasound to the affected area. To relieve the tension and reduce inflammation, gentle exercises and massage can be recommended. If the pain persists, however, doctors may opt to inject the thumb area with a cortisone shot. Surgery, as a last resort, may be required.
Related Articles That You May Find Interesting
Popular Articles That You May Find Interesting
- Snapping Ankle - Physiotherapy
- Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- The Best Exercises for Trochanteric Bursitis
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- How do I know if I have scoliosis?
- Diastasis Recti Abdominis - Conditions
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Maybe it isn't Plantar Fasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- What to do when your back hurts so much that you can't get out of bed?
- Multifidus - Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Nerve Stretches
- Shoulder Pain - Frequently Asked Questions
- 'Clunking' Shoulders - Part I
- Waking up with neck pain? Find the right pillow.
- Not All Pain In the Back Is Back Pain - It Could Be Rib Pain
- MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
- Slipped Disc in Singapore - What to Do and Avoid
- Better to break a bone than to tear a ligament or tendon
- Knee Joint & Ankle Pain - Specialist Treatment in Singapore
- Acromion Clavicle Joint - Another source of shoulder pain
- Sway Back No More
- Knock Knees - Can I reverse it? (Part 1)
- Sway back posture: A leading poor posture type causing back pain
- Posterior Capsule stretches