What to do when your back hurts so much that you can’t get out of bed?
What you NEED to do
- Reduce the inflammation:
- Either take an anti-inflammatory medication (tablet or injection). GP prescription may be required.
- If it is too painful even to go see the GP,
- Apply a COLD press to the sore/painful area.
- Take an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory (e.g. Voltaren Gel / Tablet). This is a weaker form of anti-inflammatory medication than what you will get from your GP.
- Rest to let your body heal and reduce the inflammation naturally.
What NOT to do
- Apply Heat (either through a hot pack or some of heat rub) You will further aggravate the inflammation.
- Massage the sore area.
See your physiotherapist only after it doesn't feel so sore or painful the day after.
This work by Musculoskeletal Consumer Review is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Singapore License. This article was contributed by Core Concepts - Musculoskeletal Health Group. In the spirit of promoting health education, you may copy, distribute and transmit the work under the conditions specified by the license. For articles re-printed with permission, copyright remains with the original copyright holder (author or publisher). MCR's Creative Commons License does not apply in such cases.