Sports Taping – Ankle
The ankle is prone to twisting from either landing awkwardly or too sudden a change in direction. Taping up the ankle using the figure-8 technique helps provide support but still ensure sufficient movement in the ankle. Calvin Sim, a senior physiotherapist from Back2Sports.com.sg shows us how in this sports taping series.
- Push the foot back until it is a neutral position, roughly 90 degrees to the lower leg, as if you are standing upright on your foot. The athlete should hold this foot position during taping.
- Starting from just ankle at the bone protrusion, tape down across the center point at where the ankle bends. Ensure that the tape is taut and smooth.
- Tape the foot underneath the arch (closer to the heel).
Figure 4 & 5:
- Continue to the other side.
- Pull the tape across the same center point at where the ankle bends forming an ‘X’.
Figure 6 & 7:
- Pull the tape across the other bone protrusion.
- Wrap behind the ankle and end the tape at where it first started.
- Check to ensure that ankle can move freely and it not too tight.
- For more support, repeat steps 2-7 for a second round of tape place slight off the first round.
15 Popular Articles That You May Find Interesting
- What is Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD)
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- Waking up with neck pain? Try this.
- Slipped disc – Do’s and don’ts
- Snapping Ankle
- Multifidus – Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Nerve Stretches
- Better to Break a Bone then to Tear a Ligament or Tendon
- Does Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- Sway Back No More
- Choosing the Right Knee Support
- Maybe it’s not Plantarfasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- 5th Metatarsal Fractures
- Why is my MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
You can easily request for a physiotherapy or fitness appointment through any of the 3 convenient ways below with your preferred date, time and clinic location. Our staff will be happy to help allocate you to the first available appointment slot that best fits your convenience.