Beighton Scoring System
The Beighton Score is a simple validated system used to quantify joint laxity and hypermobility. If you think you may have hypermobility, you can check your Beighton Score using the table below
Give yourself 1 point for each of the simple tests that you can do, with the maximum score being 9 points. Most people score less than 2, and only three to four in a hundred healthy people score 4 points or more.
|Able to put hands flat on the floor with knees straight||1|
|Able to bend left elbow backwards (hyperextend beyond 10°)||1|
|Able to bend right elbow backwards (hyperextend beyond 10°)||1|
|Able to bend your left thumb back on the front of your forearm||1|
|Able to bend your right thumb back on the front of your forearm||1|
|Able to bend you left little (fifth) finger back beyond 90°||1|
|Able to bend your right little (fifth) finger back beyond 90°||1|
|Able to bend your left knee backwards(hyperextend beyond 10°)||1|
|Able to bend you right knee backwards (hyperextend beyond 10°||1|
The Beighton Score can be categorised into three groups:
- 0-2 points not hypermobile
- 3-4 points moderately hypermobile
- 5-9 points distinctly hypermobile
15 Popular Articles That You May Find Interesting
- What is Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD)
- Posterior Pelvic Pain (Sacroiliac Joint Pain) in Pregnant Women
- Waking up with neck pain? Try this.
- Slipped disc – Do’s and don’ts
- Snapping Ankle
- Multifidus – Smallest Yet Most Powerful Muscle
- Cobb Angle and Scoliosis
- Nerve Stretches
- Better to Break a Bone then to Tear a Ligament or Tendon
- Does Labour Epidural Cause Chronic Backache?
- Sway Back No More
- Choosing the Right Knee Support
- Maybe it’s not Plantarfasciitis but Heel Fat Pad Syndrome
- 5th Metatarsal Fractures
- Why is my MCL strain not getting better? Because it is Pes Ancerinus Tendinitis.
You can easily request for a physiotherapy or fitness appointment through any of the 3 convenient ways below with your preferred date, time and clinic location. Our staff will be happy to help allocate you to the first available appointment slot that best fits your convenience.